The Faculty of Communication Sciences was established on October 1st 2011 within Politehnica University Timișoara, following the University Senate’s Decision no. 07/08.09.2011 and the Government Decision no. 966/29.09.2011.
The Faculty of Communication Sciences has mapped its place within Politehnica University Timișoara in two main directions: offering foreign language and communication courses to Politehnica students in technical degrees, and providing undergraduate and postgraduate instruction in the fields of communication and translation.
The study programmes coordinated by the Faculty of Communication Sciences originate in the study programmes established and developed in Politehnica University Timișoara over the past twenty years: Professional Communication (1993-2001), Public Administration (2001-2009), Communication and Public Relations (2005 - present), Translation and Interpreting (2008 - present), Communication, Public Relations and Digital Media (2011- present), Communication and Public Relations – Distance learning (2013 - present), Business Communication (2018 - present).
The changes that have marked the development of the study programmes in communication and translation at Politehnica University of Timișoara were due, on the one hand, to the needs of the labour market in Western Romania, and, on the other hand, to the reforms in Romanian higher education.
These changes reflect the ability of the institution to adapt to socio-economic trends and to meet the needs of undergraduate education of those interested in communication sciences and applied modern languages.
- 1993: setting up the three-year study programme Professional Communication at “Traian Vuia” Polytechnic Institute, through the TEMPUS-JEP 3181 Project
- 1993-2002: development of the three-year study programme Professional Communication at the Higher Education Technical College for Administration and Secretarial Studies, Division of Modern Languages, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Politehnica University of Timișoara
- 2002: restructuring of the three-year study programme Professional Communication into Local Public Administration, in accord with the Government Decision no. 1336/2001 on the study fields and programmes framework for short-term higher education
- 2002-2007: development of the Public Administration study programme at the Department of Communication and Foreign Languages, Politehnica University of Timișoara
- 2003: setting up the four-year study programme Social Communication and Public Relations
- 2004: restructuring of the Division of Modern Languages into the Department of Communication and Foreign Languages
- 2005: restructuring of the four-year study programme Communication and Public Relations into a three-year study programme, in compliance with the Bologna framework
- 2008: setting up the undergraduate study programme Translation and Interpreting at the Department of Communication and Foreign Languages, Politehnica University of Timișoara
- 2011, October 1st: setting up the Faculty of Communication Sciences at Politehnica University of Timișoara
- 2011: setting up the interdisciplinary graduate study programme Communication, Public Relations and Digital Media together with the Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications, Politehnica University of Timișoara
- 2013: setting up the undergraduate study programme Communication and Public Relations – Distance learning, together with the Centre for e-Learning, Politehnica University Timișoara
- 2018: setting up the graduate study programme Business Communication